Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Is One magical?



I think it is so strange that at a year you can all of a sudden give your baby cow's milk, sugar, chocolate, strawberries, citrus, and the list goes on. Is one a magical number or who decided that a baby is ready at one for cow's milk but they aren't at 11 months or 13 months? Silly actually. So we tried cow's milk with our little monkey and he hated it. Luckily for him I'm not planning on weaning him. I'm planning on following his lead and encouraging the sippy or glass but never "taking away" nursing for him. He loves to nurse, finds comfort and nutrition in it and I'm not going to subject him to crying because some one decided at one year you *can* give cow's milk. Yes, you can, but do you have to nope. Breastmilk is still the perfect food for him, as he gets older breastmilk gets more concentrated and has more fat and nutrition per ounce than it did when he was younger. It still gives him natural immunity through my antibodies so there are alot of reasons to keep nursing. I love our nursing relationship, it has created such a special bond between us and I am so thankful for the time we have had together in that special way. I hope I always keep those special cuddles in my mind's eye as the years pass and remember this short, special time. I'm sure as this new year approaches our nursing relationship will change, it will be less frequent and may even end, but I'll always have those special times in my memory bank. I'm so happy we made it to my goal of 1 year! We went through alot to get here and I'd go through it all again for my little man!

5 comments:

Jac said...

I hear you on the breast feeding sister!! I was going to wean T at one but then realized that is so dumb. She loves it and so do I. I am sure K will warm up to cows milk in time. Can you blame him though? I would take the sugary mommy milk over cows milk any day...if I was a toddler that is.

Anonymous said...

Breast feeding is so natural and so good for babies. I am so glad you made it to one year. I know from experience how chalenging it can be.Love grammie

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for making it to a year Kaisha! You have given Kayden such an amazing start! Breastmilk is babies perfect food! Way to go mommy!
Love,
Auntie

Christa said...

Yay for being one and still a booby baby Kayden!!!! Kaisha- I am so proud of you for sticking it out after such a rough start and being such a committed BFing Mama! Kayden is a lucky little boy in many ways, and this is definitely one of them! Congrats on making it to a tear, and beyond!

Anonymous said...

You are such an awesome mommy Kaisha! What a great thing to have breastfed him for a whole year! You will be my LC when I have a baby! I think you should go back to school and get a cert in that too!!
Love,
Steph