Tuesday, October 14, 2008

15 month well check

Today Kayden went to the doctor for a well baby visit. I have been avoiding it for awhile because I don't like making the big vaccine decision. So you pretty much skipped your 1 year appointment and today we went. We had originally had a 1 year check up scheduled in August but I kept delaying it, the day would come and I'd chicken out and reschedule for a couple weeks later, then the day would come again and I'd reschedule for a few days later. So after doing this several times I decided I better get our booty into the doctor so that we continued the good relationship we have going. Your doctor respects my wishes so well and is supportive of my parenting style which can be difficult when you aren't "mainstream". He knows I delay/selectively vaccinate and he never pushes it or acts upset that I make my own informed choices. He also knows I'm still nursing and supports that and knows I try to do things in a positive, gentle way. Not that I go to the doctor for parenting advice, I go to him for medical advice and that is it, but it is still nice to know that he respects my decisions and if I do ever talk about things outside of the "medical realm" he gives suggestions that he knows I would consider instead of offering advice that would be pointless and a waste of time. Anyway, back to the appointment. When we first got to the doctor's office you decided you didn't want to walk in the door, so I stood and waited and told you we'd read books and you decided it was okay to go in. Then when we were called back to the room you walked right down the hall to the room like a big boy, but as soon as the CMA had to touch you by taking your temp you freaked out. You were hysterical from then on out whenever a medical staff member was in the room. You flailed and cried and flipped and flopped while we were trying to do your height and so the nurse said she thought it was how tall you were but wasn't sure. To weigh you we had to weigh me first and then weigh you w/ me. Then when Dr. Salek came in you were even more frantic as he was touching and prodding you.
But on the positive side you are way ahead in development, on the 9-24 month developmental chart you can do everything except climb stairs b/c we don't have any at home so you never get any practice and you also don't drink from a cup w/o a lid (b/c mommy doesn't want the mess...lazy, I know;-). So he was very impressed w/ my little smarty pants, he also commented on your strong will and determined nature....I guess those will be good characteristics to have in the future, but for now they are a little difficult to deal with at times Mr. Kayden. Like when we need to leave the park and you throw a tantrum the whole way home....determined, yes, strong willed-yes, fun for mommy-not so much.
Growth wise you are 22 pounds 6 ounces which puts you in the 10-25%ile, height-31.5 inches (the best guess anyway) which puts you in the 50-75%ile, and your head continues to be large 49.1cm which is the 90-95%ile. You haven't gained much weight since our last visit but the doctor isn't worried, he says it is b/c you are so active and such a picky eater. He just told mommy to try lots of new foods, keep trying, try to start yogurt again, keep putting butter and oil on your foods so you get the fat you need for your brain development (not sure we need to worry since your head is the thing that is growing the best;-). I also told him you still refuse cow's milk and he said you might just be a kiddo that doesn't like milk (might be genetic b/c your mommy and uncles aren't milk fans either), that is why he wants me to try the yogurt and continue trying to get you to eat cheeses.
Shot wise today we only did the HIB vaccine.
So that was our appointment today. I'm hoping you decide you like doctors by the time we go to our next visit......but I'm guessing that won't happen for about a year or so.

No comments: