Saturday, August 15, 2009

A little update!

"Einstein never used flashcards. It is natural, perfect actually to learn through play." (from the book Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How our Children really learn and why they need to play more and memorize less By:Kathy Hirsh-Pasek Ph.D)
(I love this quote and think it is soooo true, especially for a toddler. Play is how you learn best!! And you illustrate that to me everyday! We never drill letters yet you learn them, we never drill colors yet you learn them, we never drill shapes, yet you learn them....play is the best educator a child can have!)

Smarty pants you know all your colors (at least the main ones, Red, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, White, Black)! I believe in natural learning and never drill things with you, show you flashcards or "work" on learning. I think learning naturally is better for you and more "natural":) Especially with how tiny you are. So I never really "know" the exact date when you master something b/c I don't do checks. But 2 nights ago we were reading our stories with daddy and in your "What makes a Rainbow" book you out of no where told us each color over and over. I had known you had a pretty good handle on them for awhile now, the past 4 or 5 months you've been doing really good with labeling things, like "yellow bus", "green grass". So I knew you were getting it from just the natural exposure I gave you but I was pretty surprised when you just rattled them off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaisha you never cease to amaze me! I am going to have to re-read this whole blog when I get to be a mommy so that I can remember all the good stuff=)
And Kayden, you are a smarty pants for sure! You amaze me all the time too buddy!
Love~Auntie A

Anonymous said...

Natural learning is so much better! I hate when parents ask me about flashcards! Get down and play mommies!
Kimmie