On Wednesday Kayden had his first big "wowie" or owie as we would say. Kyle has been sweeping and mopping b/c I've been so sick but he skipped doing it this last weekend and I couldn't take it so I decided to put a Thomas the train video on for Kayden and quickly sweep and mop. Of course w/ my Kayden a video doesn't entertain him for more than 5 minutes....so he wanted to "help". We couldn't find his mini broom and mop (come to find out daddy had hidden them b/c he was tired of Kayden dragging them around everywhere). So Kayden used my big mop while I swept. Then I went to get mop water, and he helped me put the mop in the water, I thought he had let go. I lifted the mop up to squeeze the water out and I hear screaming. I look down and his finger is caught in the area b/t the handle you push down and the metal part connecting it to the mop. I FREAK. He is frantic. Then I can't get his finger out, it was squished into a hole it shouldn't have fit in. While I'm trying to figure out what to do next he yanks his finger out and blood starts squirting everywhere. I knew it was bad right away, the skin was stuck and he pulled it so roughly. I rush him to the sink and blood is trailing behind
us:(. After rinsing it and seeing how big the opening is I know we have to go get stitches so I put a paper towel around it and by the time we get to the garage it is soaked through. I go in and get lots more, put him in his seat and tell him to hold it tight on the owie and he tells me "okay" in b/t his cries. My heart was breaking for him b/c I can only imagine how bad it hurt and how scared he was by all the blood. I couldn't decide if I should take him to the urgent care or ER so I call Auntie Jac Jac thinking my 24 hour on call nurse will know, she told me to stop by the UC to check. I called the number on the building and thankfully they could do stitches. We were luckily the only people in the building so we got right in. He cried through the entire 10 minutes of paperwork I had to fill out and mommy cried with him. Once we were taken back I started worrying about him dealing with the nurses and doctor's messing w/ his hand but he did better than I could have expected. We first had to soak his hand and he kept saying "all done" but listened and kept his hand in the water. After the doctor looked at it he said it did need stitches so we had to give him a shot of lidocaine so they wrapped him in a sheet and I sat next to him to divert his attention and this is where mommy decided to be a patient too. I don't do well with blood, never have. But being pregnant and watching my baby go through this must have been too much b/c they looked over at me and said I was white and I needed to sit on the ground. Of course germophob me thinks, yeah right crazy ppl, no way am I sitting down on this floor in a medical center. So I stick it out sitting next to him as the doctor stitches it up. After he is done stitching and they are doing whatever else they had to do I start feeling really funny. So they look again and tell me I need to lay down. I decide to sit down and pass out for a brief moment after I got clammy and the room started to spin and my whole body got tingly. They brought me wet towels and had me lay on a bed and got me apple juice. I felt horrible that I couldn't suck it up for my own kiddo, but no matter how hard I tried I just kept feeling that way. After Kayden was done he was laying with me on the bed and I continued to have the "pass out" feeling and according to them was looking very white. I was a bit scared to drive home b/c I couldn't shake the feeling but as I was deciding if I could Kayden fell asleep instantly in the Tahoe. So I went thru the drive thru to get some food and headed home. My baby slept from 1-5, he was so tired from all the crying. He woke up showing me his "wowie" and as soon as Kyle got home he pointed to the mop and said "wowie daddy" :( He will now probably have a fear of mops! He was very careful that night when daddy bathed him and held his hand high in the air to keep it dry:-) And whenever I say "be careful with your finger" he is sure to be very gentle and baby it with whatever he is doing. When we have to change the dressing he usually cries, not sure if it hurts when we remove it or if looking at it is what upsets him but he handles it all well b/c he gets a doggie bandaid to make it fun. He also got to go to Target yesterday and pick out a new train for being such a big boy at the doctor, and chose the orange train named Billy.
I told the doctor I couldn't believe that mopping was a dangerous activity (I mean who would EVER think??) and he told me that with a toddler everything is dangerous and all 5 of his kids have had stitches multiple times and I'd have to get used to it.........I hope he is wrong!! It was a very traumatic experience for Kayden and I and I don't think I can handle it over and over!
3 comments:
i think you handled this whole escapade just great kaisha! it really sounds like he was so brave and did really well at UC (much better than i think i'd be in his little shoes!)
Poor baby! And poor mommy!
Hope it is healing quickly!
Love-Am
Poor Kayden! Although he doesnt seem to mind his owie. He was so good when I was fashioning a bandage that didnt work! Next time, call me and I will come pick you up!
Post a Comment