Parenthood is one of those things you love 99.99 percent of the time. And each and every day I am so super thankful to be a mommy and to have my littles snuggled up next to me when I wake up in the morning and giving me kisses before we fall asleep at night. But for 2 days I was at the edge of mommyhood! On Monday we flew to AZ to visit our friends. Kayden was SO excited about this trip. He had been asking to go visit Tula, Tatum, "Milla" and Audee since we moved 6 months ago. So timing finally worked out and we booked the trip. I of course wanted to go to see my friends but I was so excited for him to see his friends b/c he had told me so many times "turn this way and go to XX's house". So Monday, November 1st (2 days after Breck turned 1 and 1 day after Halloween!) my mom dropped us off at the airport. After getting thru security (taking shoes off of 2 kiddos, plus me, jackets off, ergo off, baby out of ergo, liquids in bag, purse, luggage, backpack in buckets, sippies litmus tested....after all of that we finally got thru security. really? would I really put a bomb in my 12 month old's shoe? does his soft robeez really need to come off?....anyway) we got thru. The flight was delayed about an hour. So our 1.5 hour wait after security, became a 2.5 hour wait after security. Fun times. It all started here. Kayden was not enjoying being stuffed in a small waiting room, full of people and luggage waiting to get on an airplane. We were flying out of Grand Island, it's a small town airport, so the waiting area is tiny and they stuff the planes to AZ so the waiting area was PACKED. So between knocking down our luggage over and over, pouring his food on the floor and terrorizing Breck I was ready to call it quits before we even got on the plane. Well, I should have listened to those cues and stayed home!!
During our trip Kayden decided he was not going to listen to mommy. Anything I said, he would argue with and time outs, rewards, talking to him, none of it worked. On top of not listening to mommy he also was having difficulty being nice to Tula and Mav. So Tuesday we went to bed and I was exhausted from dealing with him. Well, Breck decided this would be a good night to get the tummy flu. So tired mommy was up all night with a sick baby. A sick baby in someone else's home. Not fun. A sick baby is no fun. But a sick baby in someone else's home is even worse. So we woke up the next day, tired and not sure how the baby would do. Packed the kiddos up and headed to the zoo. Kayden continued with not listening to mommy routine and fed his entire lunch to the ducks, despite all of my attempts to get him to eat his darn food. That night I had Kyle book us flights home to KS. We flew out early the next morning. During the night Breck threw up again so I wasn't sure how the flight would go. The flight was not good. Breck was sick and crying the whole flight. Kayden was wired and ready for the day b/c it was a 7am flight (I usually fly during nap times!) and was not enjoying sitting in his seat. Thankfully Breck didn't puke ON the flight, but managed to hold it until Daddy picked us up and we were walking in to eat lunch and threw up all over the floor of our chosen lunch spot. Nice way to make everyone not hungry!
Well after a crappy trip and a crappy flight I was so excited to be home and clean my house and enjoy life at home. Surprise. Not in the cards! Friday evening Kyle came home sick. An hour later I was sick. 2 hours later Kayden was sick. We spent all night Friday up sick. Taking care of sick kids. And all day Saturday sick. By Sunday we were better but still tired. Poor Kayden though wasn't so lucky and was sick until Monday! So I got to spend the whole weekend sick and then the next few days doing laundry and cleaning up Kayden's sick spots.
I have decided I will never fly anywhere again with the boys by myself. Okay. Maybe at some point I will. But right now. I. Can't. Imagine. It. Not sure what would be so important that it would make me want to do it! Thank You God that we live a drive away from our family. If we didn't, we would never see them bc my days of flying every few months like Kayden and I did are OVER. God has a way of knowing what you need and he knew we needed to be close to our family. THANK THE LORD.
2 comments:
Oh my! That does bot sound reassuring, I was thinking of flying to NJ with the girls alone in January. I might reconsider.
I'm so sorry you had to leave so early! I was hoping I could see you and the boys before you left. But, I'll let you know when I come back that way. It may be awhile after reading about your horrible adventure, though.
Post a Comment